Back To Top

Italy's Berlusconi indicted in prostitution probe

MILAN (AP) _ His penchant for beautiful young women has cost him his wife, and now may cost Silvio Berlusconi what he cherishes most: power.

The 74-year-old Italian premier was ordered Tuesday to stand trial on charges he paid a 17-year-old Moroccan girl for sex, and then used his influence to cover it up _ an offense that, if proven, could see him barred permanently from public office.

Berlusconi has called the allegations ``groundless'' and dismissed the case as a ``farce,'' accusing prosecutors of seeking to oust him from power. He did not comment Tuesday, skipping a news conference in Sicily and meeting with his lawyer in Rome.

Unlike Berlusconi's many past legal problems involving business-related charges concerning his Mediaset empire, this time he faces allegations of personal misconduct while serving as the head of government. The trial is set to begin April 6 before a panel of three female judges.

Silvio Berlusconi (AP-Yonhap News)
Silvio Berlusconi (AP-Yonhap News)

Prosecutors have already relayed more than 700-pages of wiretap conversations describing raucous behavior that would draw censure at most fraternity houses: sex-fueled parties attended by scantily clad women, sometimes dressed as nurses or police officers.

The indictment alleges Berlusconi paid for sex with the Moroccan girl, nicknamed Ruby, then used his influence to get her out of police custody when she was detained in connection with an unrelated theft of $4,103 (euro3,000). Prosecutors say Berlusconi called police the night of May 27-28, 2010, because he feared his relationship with the teen would be revealed.

So far Italians have been forgiving, with Berlusconi's popularity damaged by the scandal but not demolished. However, having such details aired in a courtroom and not just on newspaper pages could change the tide against Berlusconi, experts warn.

``If you start to hear something (that) is really embarrassing and difficult to handle, I think that could hurt the image of Berlusconi and his position as prime minister,'' said Franco Pavoncello, a political analyst at John Cabot University in Rome.

Judge Cristina Di Censo handed down the indictment Tuesday with a terse statement that showed she believes there is sufficient evidence to subject Berlusconi to an immediate trial, as prosecutors requested. The speeded-up procedure, which is ordered in cases of overwhelming evidence, skips a preliminary hearing that alone can take nearly a year.

The child prostitution charge carries a possible prison term of six months to three years. However, the abuse of influence charge is even more dangerous: It carries a sentence of four to 12 years, and if Berlusconi is sentenced to more than five, he would be barred from ever again holding public office.

Both Berlusconi and the now 18-year-old Moroccan nightclub dancer deny having had sex together. Ruby, in a TV interview on a Mediaset channel, said Berlusconi gave her $9,000 (euro7,000) the evening they met, and later jewelry.

The trial will follow the resumption of three other criminal cases involving Berlusconi's business dealings, creating both a legal morass for the premier, and a judicial juggling act as panels seek to schedule hearings amid Berlusconi's commitments as head of government.

At the same time, a weakened Berlusconi will face the challenge of keeping unruly coalition partners happy, while attempting to repair the image of his country _ badly damaged by his own scandal _ on the international stage.

The trial itself will take months, if not years, given the difficulty of scheduling court appearances. While defendants are not required to attend trials in Italy, Berlusconi's defense has often invoked his willingness to do so. Still, he has rarely showed up in court.

<관련 한글 기사> 

伊총리 운명, 여판사 3명 손에 달렸다

(제네바=연합뉴스) `스캔들의 제왕' 실비오 베를루스코니 이탈리아 총리의 운명의 세 명의 여성판사의 손에 넘겨졌다.

이탈리아 밀라노 재판부는 15일(현지시간) 미성년 나이트클럽 댄서 카리마 엘 마루그(일명 루비)에게 대가를 주고 성관계를 갖고, 소매치기 혐의로 경찰에 붙잡힌 루비를 빼내기 위해 전화로 압력을 가함으로써 직권을 남용한 혐의를 받는 베를루스코니 총리에 대한 첫 심리를 내달 6일 개시한다고 밝혔다.

검찰의 조기재판 요청을 받아들인 법원은 줄리아 투리, 오르솔라 데 크리스토포로, 카르멘 델리아 등 3명의 여성 판사에게 재판을 맡겼다.

베를루스코니 총리의 미성년 성매매 추문은 이탈리아 여성들의 광범위한 분노를 불러일으키고 있다. 휴일인 지난 13일에는 로마와 팔레르모, 트리에스테, 베네치아 등 주요 도시에서 베를루스코니 총리의 퇴진을 요구하는 여성 수만 명이 참가한 거리시위가 열렸다.

시위에서는 "여성의 존엄성을 지키자" 등의 구호가 등장했고, 앞서 열린 다른 시위와 항의성 퍼포먼스에서도 "이탈리아에는 매춘부만 있는 게 아니다", "이탈리아 인들의 몸은 파는 게 아니다" 등의 구호가 나왔다.

전통적으로 성 문제에 대해 관대한 이탈리아 남성들에 비해 여성들은 베를루스코니 총리의 행동이 국가의 위신을 떨어뜨렸을 뿐만 아니라, 특히 여성들에게  수치 심을 불러일으켰다고 보고 있다.

이런 분위기를 감안할 때 여성판사 3명에게 재판이 맡겨진 것은 심상치 않다.

이 때문에 숱한 성추문과 부패 혐의에도 불구하고, 정치생명을 유지해온 베를루스코니 총리가 이번만큼은 절체절명의 위기를 맞았다는 분석이 나온다.

세 명의 여판사 중에서 줄리아 투리는 정치.경제적으로 민감한 사건들을 자주 다뤄온 베테랑 판사다.

그녀는 지난 2009년 거대 인터넷 검색업체 구글이 연루된 탈세 사건을 기각한 바 있고, 지난해 7월에는 밀라노 나이트클럽에서 마약인 코카인을 상습적으로 사용 해온 고위층 인사에 대해 가택연금을 명령한 적이 있다.

또 이탈리아 법조계에서 투리 판사를 포함한 3명의 여판사는 매우 면밀한 심리와 엄격한 법 집행을 해온 것으로 유명하다.

이런 상황을 예상한 듯 베를루스코니 총리측 변호사 니콜로 게디니는 이번 재판을 고위 공직자 관련 사건만을 다루는 특별법정에서 진행해야 한다고 주장했으나, 받아들여지지 않았다.

베를루스코니 총리는 법원이 내달 6일 재판을 개시하기로 한 데 대해 직접적인 반응을 보이지 않았지만, 지난 14일 TV 대담에서 일요일에 있었던 여성들의 거리시위를 "좌파 특정세력들이 동원한 정치집단"으로 폄하했다.

이탈리아는 세계경제포럼(WEF)이 발간한 글로벌 경쟁력보고서의 성 평등 지수에서 조사 대상 134개 나라 가운데 74위를 차지해 카자흐스탄보다 낮은 순위를 차지할 정도로 경제력 규모에 비해 여성의 지위가 낮은 편이다. 또 일하는 여성의 비율은 4 6%로, 유럽연합(EU) 국가 중에서 가장 낮다.

이탈리아 국내외 언론들은 베를루스코니 총리의 성매매 혐의에 대한 재판이 여성들이 제 목소리를 내는 계기가 될지 주목하고 있다.

(연합뉴스)

MOST POPULAR